incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:34:48 GMT
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> > I think this is extremely important and I'm embarrassed that I missed it.
> >
> > I'm also thinking that we need an ooo-user list pretty soon.
> >

> In the incubation proposal we said that we would not be requesting a
> ooo-user list, but would instead be going for phpBB user forums.  But
> that was then, now is now.
>
> OOo has a user list and a user forum, which you can find here:
>
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/ (That is just the
> English language one. There are others )
>
> and here:
>
> http://openoffice.org/projects/www/lists/users/archive
>
> It looks like the forums get the far greater level of activity.  But
> it would be good to quantify that.  In any case, I think the activity
> level is high enough (forums claim 97 users online at the forums at
> this instant, and 42 active threads today alone) that  I think it
> would be inappropriate for users who want to post a questions and
> check back the next day for an answer.
>
> But lists might be good for other kinds of things.
>
> Does anyone see a difference other than the obvious difference of
> technology, between the OOo user list and the forums?  Are they being
> used for different kinds of things?  Or are they just different ways
> of doing the same things?
>
> -Rob

People use the forum and lists sometimes for different things. New users
don't really know any difference so they might submit a bug report on the
list or forum even if neither of them is for that.

However in my experience users have different prefferences of communication
and alternative communities form regarding each channel. ie. ML users don't
participate much in the forum and viceversa.

I see more a cultural difference than a real difference. Certainly both
present technological advantages, I can use my email search which is faster
to find things than the forum search. But I get swamp by conversations in
which I am not interested. Which many new users specially are turned off.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol