incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: An svn question
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:17:37 GMT
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 14:02, Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip@tutopia.com> wrote:
> Disclaimer: I am no SVN expert but I play a lot with
> FreeBSD's SVN repository.
>
> --- On Thu, 6/23/11, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm no svn expert, but I hope to find some here.
>>
>> We still have a lot of work in so called child workspaces
>> (in Mercurial they are just an own repository that
>> originates from the "main" repository).
>
> In subversion those are "branches", so you create a branch
> everytime there is a release or if you want to create a
> your own custom project with experimental changes that will
> be merged later on.

Yup. Here is how the Subversion project itself uses branches:

  http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/general.html#branch-policy

Regarding the existing CWSs, those repositories "should be" imported
as branches here at the ASF. I'm not entirely sure how to gather up a
bunch of Hg repositories and blend them into a single repository, but
that would be best. We can then convert that single Hg repository to
Subversion and load the sucker onto svn.apache.org.

Cheers,
-g