incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org Product Roadmap: made by whom ? was: Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:39:16 GMT
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Donald Whytock <dwhytock@gmail.com> wrote:
> My two centimes...
>
> It sounds like what Martin is asking for is a mechanism whereby a
> sponsoring corporation or collection of corporations can take the
> corporate view and "throw money at the problem" to get things done.
>
> It occurs to me that this doesn't have to exist within the framework
> of the ASF.  Since anyone can be a contributor, said anyone could be
> in the employ of an external nonprof, so a nonprof could accept money
> for the purposes of hiring people to subscribe to ooo-dev and have at
> it.
>
> This seems like something that the ASF and PMC not only don't need to
> do anything about, but in fact can't do anything about.

Largely agree, with one potential caveat, and that has to do with trademarks:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

Beyond the general terms expressed in the above page, any issues
should be worked on a case-by-case basis.

One further comment below...

> Don
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM, eric b <eric.bachard@free.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Le 16 juin 11 à 18:39, Martin Hollmichel a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Sam,

>>> yes, I have.
>>>
>>> First, I do not have any problems with the Apache style of decision
>>> making, lazy consensus sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I like that
>>> style. This fits perfectly to the "meritocracy" principle.
>>>

>> [...cut...]
>>

>>> I think this principle may get enhanced by enabling a non profit
>>> organization to have their own resources on a project (This might fit
>>> into the Apache philosophy considering this organization as an
>>> contributing institution).

The ASF does not have a concept of a contributing institution.  We
recognize individuals only, and those individuals retain their status
independent of their association with other institutions.

>> For the record, EducOOo ( http://www.educoo.org) is a non profit
>> organization, OpenOffice.org dedicated : only based on donations, and
>> partnerships. We can accept donations from a lot of countries, since based
>> in Europa and so on. Currently, we only try to sale goodies, and to help
>> people attending events, but sure, better can be expected.
>>
>> There is some missing english and other locale translation on our site, but
>> you can count EducOOo in the list.
>>
>> Last but not least, we already created educoo.it ( http://www.educoo.it ),
>> educoo.es (http://educoo.es ), educoo.no (http://educoo.no ) + some others.
>>
>> Regards,