incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Subversion & Git (was: Proposed short term goals)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:22:59 GMT
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:08, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Christian Grobmeier
>> <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Do you see any serious problems if the code will go into svn in the
>> > first step (which will last for a while)?
>>
>> I'd like to rephrase that question: does anybody here have any
>> credible alternate proposal?  To be credible, requires not just an
>> outline of a plan, but actual volunteers with a demonstrated ability
>> to follow through.
>>

> If Git was going to be available at Apache in the future I am pretty sure
> the LibreOffice developers would consider temporarily hosting a Git
> repository for developers here to use.

That is unworkable right now.

Git has been "in the works" for several *years* now. We cannot rely on
it appearing at any given point in time. Certainly not by the time
that we want to release an Apache OOo.

You also have authentication problems between Apache and the LO
installation. You also have code guarantee problems (the ASF
guarantees that third parties have not tampered with its development).

Seriously. If it was "that easy", then Infra would have just set up a
git repository and be done with it. But it isn't "that easy".

There are thousands of open source projects using Subversion. And
there are downstream users of those projects that do not use
Subversion. I fail to see how this one is different. I also fail to
see any credible reason that Subversion cannot handle the development
here at Apache.

Cheers,
-g