incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <>
Subject Re: Naming of trunk and feature branches
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 02:03:09 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Marcus (OOo) <> wrote:

> Sorry, it seems I wasn't clear enough.
> I don't think about how to name directories and files in the SVN repo
> itself. Sure we can stick with the schema like it is done in other projects.
> It's more a general thing how to present trunk and branches to the outside.
> E.g., when we release bits we have to make clear into which direction they
> point. It's a difference if we use a name like "branch 3.4.x" or tell the
> people it's "OOO 3.4.0" or maybe "AOOO 3.4.0".
> So, I don't think that a trailing 0 is not ? when it is the 3.4.0 release.
> And the OOO is still necessary to show it's from our project. Of course it
> could be "AOOO" or whatever we will agree to.
> How to name the release files is another thing. There should be a clear
> structure to keep it simple and straight for scripts. But this is a topic
> for later.
> I hope it's more clear now. ;-)

My bad also misconstruct the naming conversation. Well we used to have
different branches each with a name OOODEV was for the always development
branch and OOO for the actual release branches.
So usually they got rid of the dots for clarity, and added a m for
and DEV:

> Marcus
> Am 06/29/2011 03:03 PM, schrieb Greg Stein:
>  On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 08:09, Marcus (OOo)<>  wrote:
>>> With the discussions about the master and feature branches, the following
>>> question comes to my mind.
>>> What about this naming schema for master and feature branches? *)
>>> In the past we had the following:
>>> DEV300 = master/trunk/head
>>> This will never lead to a release
>> We're using Subversion, and nearly every svn repository across the
>> planet names this "trunk". Unless there is a specific reason to vary
>> from that, I don't see why we'd want to name the directory "DEV300".
>>  OOO340 = branch
>>> Branched from a specific DEV300 milestone to stablize the code when
>>> coming
>>> closer to a specific release (here: OOo 3.4)
>> Branches can be named whatever we'd like. My own preference would be
>> to call this: /branches/3.4.x
>> The "OOO" is awfully redundant, and the last digit ("0") doesn't make
>> sense since we would be releasing patches from the branch such as
>> 3.4.1. The "3.4.x" naming is used by many products, and it has worked
>> out very well.

*Alexandro Colorado*
** EspaƱol