incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:53:42 GMT
I'd like to reopen this question,since I haven't seen a resolution.

I'm hearing some proposing Bugzilla, because of familiarity and ease
of migration.

I'm also hearing some say that JIRA is superior.

I'm not really persuaded by either argument.  I wonder if we could
briefly drill down into this a bit more.

1) I read that the  OOo bugzilla has been customized.  Can anyone
explain the nature of the customizations?

2) In what sense if JIRA better?  IMHO all defect tracking systems
suck.  But I'm open to the possibility that some suck less.

3) On migration, would it be reasonable to attempt a sandboxed trial
migration of Bugzilla to JIRA, and let skeptics poke at it for a
while, to see if, for example, IDs are preserved, etc.?  Would that be
much work?  The easiest way to convince people that JIRA is possible
and reasonable might be to actually do it.

4) What are the downsides of Bugzilla?  If it is a supported option at
Apache, wouldn't that be the obvious choice?  I think we'd need to
make a good case for why an alternative would be better.  What are,
say, the top 3 things that JIRA would do better than Bugzilla?

-Rob

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2011, at 9:17 AM, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>
>> On 16.06.2011 16:45, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
>>> Hi *,
>>>
>>> (to moderators: I guess the list software used checks on Sender, not
>>> on From - so if you need to review this message, please add the sender
>>> address to a "allowed posters" lists for both dev and notifications
>>> please)

>>> Not because of project size, but also for the sake of preserving the
>>> issue-numbers that are spread all over the place, last but not least
>>> in the code itself.
>>>
>>> So whatever you choose, make sure that there is a way to get form
>>> #i1234# to the actual bug that corresponds to the id.
>>
>> Yes, keeping issue ids is the most important thing. Which bug tracker we use would
be a second order priority for me.