incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Top level question on website migration
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:29:40 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/27/2011 07:58 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> On 06/27/2011 05:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>>  Assuming we're not trying for a "big bang" migration where we move

>>> Well given the state of the project as it exists today in the Apache
>>> environment, I think this is fraught with MANY problems. What is "up" on
>>> Apache right now is really insignificant compared to what is available
>>> via
>>> OpenOffice.org. I think before doing this, we'd need to make a VERY
>>> comprehensive mapping list of what would be going where.
>>> I don't mean to overburden everyone with "details", but I think a
>>> "migration plan" complete with "areas" and timeframes might be in order.
>>> This would be useful to determine scope as well as creating a reasonable
>>> schedule.
>>>
>>> Someone would spend a LOT of time maintaining the redirect business.
>>> I'm concerned with acccess "blips" given this approach. Timing is
>>> everything.
>>>
>>> Additionally, some people, like me, have edit (committer) rights on parts
>>> of the OpenOffice web server to continue to make changes (if only
>>> informative) and no similar rights on Apache. Right now, I'm not doing
>>> much
>>> except trying to keep some reasonable info about the move updated on the
>>> OpenOffice.org site on some of the primary pages. But...I really have NO
>>> idea what others with commit rights are doing on that server at the
>>> moment.
>>> This would be interesting to find out.
>>>

>> I havent been able to do any commits to the site yet, but I also wonder
>> what
>> is the status of this current site. Is there going to be any SSI? Who
>> choosed that template?
>>

> Not sure how to answer this since I don't even know if it HAS a template.
> ????
>
> Since I know little about kenai, I don't know anything about it handles
> templates, but the site looks pretty much the same as it did before the
> move.
>

>  How can I go about it to change it and if it's good
>
>> idea to simply change it as please.
>>

> The site uses ssh+svn (svn with ssh tunneling) see:
> http://kenai.com/projects/help/pages/SourceControl
>
> You need your own private ssh key uploaded through your OO.o private key.
>
> If you have your own OO.o ID and login, you should be able to see what
> projects you are a member of and what rights you have to them.
>

>> Sound a bit rookish questions but also wonder what is the direction of
>> that
>> site.
>>

> Well...it's my understanding that eventually it will cease to exist, at
> some point yet to be determined. Thus, we need to put whatever effort we can
> into this new Apache endeavor.

Sorry Kay, I know the Kenai layout, I was asking about Apache-OOo new site:
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

I think this one is set up here:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/

It seems to have some perl(?) scripts:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/lib/view.pm?revision=1137122&view=markup

Not sure if its using a framework or just random perl scripts holding things
somewhat automated. From what I see there are some Templates setup:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/templates/skeleton.html?revision=1137122&view=markup

On Kenai, it did had the tigris template, which we drag from Collabnet, and
the CSS had some major change to it spreading it across 6 different
stylesheets (before it was only one). And there were of course a template
use on most of the projects. BizDev and Education tried a tableless CSS
which never made it to production.

>>>  2) Do it in the opposite direction:   DNS goes to Oracle's servers and
>>>>

>>> This seems like a better idea with less redirection for the time being.
>>> However, this puts control in Oracle's court which may not be desirable.
>>>

>>>  #1 seems a lot cleaner to me, and requires less coordination with

>>> Well this particular area seems OK. :)
>>>
>>> Really I will do some work via the wiki this week to augment the list on
>>> the wiki from my perspective on what needs to be done.
>>>

>>>  -Rob
>>>>

>>> --
>>> MzK
>>>
>>> "He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
>>>  that 'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and
>>>  I'll just start over kind of attitude."
>>>                  -- "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose
>>>

> --
> MzK
>
> "He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
>  that 'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and
>  I'll just start over kind of attitude."
>                  -- "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose

--
*Alexandro Colorado*