incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hauling in third-party code (was: Category B licenses)
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 12:34:10 GMT
On Jun 29, 2011 7:54 AM, "Jens-Heiner Rechtien" <jhrechtien@web.de> wrote:

> On 06/29/2011 01:19 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
>> This process sounds exactly like what the "buildout" tool[1] is
>> designed to handle. It seems like a good opportunity to move from
>> OOo's homegrown system to something that is supported, documented, and
>> maintained by others.
>

> The system we currently have is effective - and it works now. I agree that
there are better and more standard ways to do this but I guess it's not our
first priority, maybe not even our second. It's a whole lot of stuff and it
has to work on Windows as well.

> Introducing something as buildtools will be the perfect time sink for
someone overhauling the build process. And I would hate it if the change
would stop somewhere in between - I've seen many tries to standardize stuff
in OOo which ended prematurely leaving us with *two* ways to do things. It's
very easy to underestimate the effort given the sheer size of OOo.

> Of course if someone is willing to do this, that would be great. But it
takes a lot of commitment to see the changes through.

Right. Agreed!

Just throwing it out there. I think it could be a great way to reduce
maintenance in the long run, but recognize there is a big hurdle to cross
first.

>> Reviewing those patches would also be good. Try and get more of them
>> upstream. For example, I saw some patches to Neon in there which
>> should get pushed upstream, and also move to the latest version of
>> Neon.
>

> Always a good idea to do this, but if I remember right especially neon was
occasionally unresponsive regarding some of our patches. But I guess every
downstream project complains about upstream being unresponsive :-). But I
know that we've updated neon support regularly over the last years.

Yeah. We'd always like upstream to love us :-)

In this specific case, I saw it and wrote about it because Joe Orton (author
of Neon) is an ASF Member. I suspect we have a good channel of communication
:-) (I also consider Joe a friend, ever since the WebDAV days of 1998)

Cheers,
-g