incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 17:59:08 GMT
On 17 June 2011 18:50, Manfred A. Reiter <ma.reiter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ingrid, *,
>
> Am 17.06.2011 17:44, schrieb IngridvdM:
>
>  My understanding is that this contradicts the principles of the Apache
>>> way, because choosing to talk in a native language other than English is
>>> excluding most others from their possibility to participate.
>>>
>> And if you have only english speaking list, you are excluding a mass of
> german, brasilian,
> spanish, japanes people how contributed to the project in a very good way
> during the
> last years.
>
> IHMO it is evident, that we need
>
>  So I would like to suggest that we use English on all mailing lists at
>> Apache, also for the language/region specific tasks. Opinions? Or is this
>> anyhow self-evident and not worth a note?
>>

> It is self-evident, that the core has to be in englisch, even if it is BSE.

And because us English are not as good at languages as everyone else ;-)

IMHO it is self-evident, that we need languages lists - at least for
> Endusers and an coordinating team ... if such lists are required from
> language speaker ... such as Kazunari Hirano san.
>
> Or do you think in outsourcing and splitting into ApacheOOo and
> japanes support and german support?
>
> I see the problem for those that do not speak English.
>> Is it maybe possible for the native language communities to set up some
>> translation gateway that allows mails from and to the main project lists to
>> get translated between English and the chosen native language?
>>

> If it would work.
> I fear that is a dream, which will be realised when my granddaughter goes
> into retirement.

I have found Google translate is not that bad. If the sentences used are
short. If they are of simple structure. Usually you can get a good
understanding. So one half-way house would be to encourage the main list
contributors to write simple sentences. Even if this is not the best style
English it will make translation via Google translate possible. At least
basic conversations will be intelligible

 That would allow more people to take part in the discussion and would
>> combine the efforts. Just an idea. As we are not the first international
>> group working together I wonder whether there are elegant tools out there to
>> overcome the barrier of language?
>>
>> Ingrid ( not a native English speaker )

We should try to use the technology to help :-)

M.
> sorry for typos, grammer, diction and spelling
> I hope my german and my portugues ar better.

Certainly better than my German and Portugues ;-)

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.