incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <apa...@robweir.com>
Subject Re: Native Language vs l10n
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 20:47:42 GMT
It will be interesting to see how this works in practice.  For example, I
know that translation will often result in strings that are longer than they
were in English.  This happens when translating to German, for example.
This might require that a UI be modified to fit the expanded strings.

How would we handle that kind of interaction?

1) Language project modifies the UI directly and rebuilds the product?

or

2) Language project is involved, with their liaison, with the Apache project
throughout the release cycle, and is testing its translations at major
milestones, beta, etc.  And then they are filing defect reports where the UI
must be updated to accommodate the translation.

There are other possible bugs that can break translations, such as
hard-coded strings, buffer overflows, number formatting errors, etc.   If we
can do #2, I think that would be best, to find these errors earlier.   So
collaboration with language projects, like with any other stakeholder, will
work best if we're co-testing at beta milestones or even more frequently.

-Rob