incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: decision making (wsa Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module)
Date Wed, 15 Jun 2011 19:39:41 GMT
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org> wrote:

> On reading that back I realise it's a horrible explanation, so I just
> changed it to:
>
> "Sometimes a member of the community will believe a specific action is the
> correct one for the project but are not sure that there will be consensus.
> In these circumstances they may not wish to proceed with the work without
> giving the community an opportunity to feedback. In these circumstances they
> can make the proposal and state Lazy Consensus is in operation."

Meta observation: this change did not require board level approval, no
vote was taken, and in fact as far as I know Ross didn't ask anybody's
permission; he just saw something that needed to be fixed and did it.
We have lots of checks and balances built in: notifications get sent
out on the changes, the source itself is under version control, etc.

In the rare event that somebody wishes to take exception to a change
like this, we deal with that on an exception basis; sometimes this is
simply a matter of somebody else fixing the fix.  In extreme cases we
may decide to first revert the controversial change and then talk
through the issue on the relevant list.

It is way too early to worry about exiting incubation just yet, but a
key component of making that happen will be having the PPMC
demonstrate that they are capable of self-governance.

> Ross

- Sam Ruby