incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Build-Translate-Plan
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:12:14 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 09:11, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:
> Right. Maybe we should split this into 2 parts:
>
> 1. The very first build(s) to handle fixes for build breaker:
> IMHO here it should be enough to have en-US only

For better or worse, the ASF is US-centric, so this makes sense.

> 2. If this is done the next builds can be also used for looking into the
> localizations.
>
> We had the following set of languages for our developer milestones (DEV300
> and OOO340):
> - English (US) as master language
> - German due to historical reasons and we had the most testers here
> - French for the same reason IMHO and long strings
> - Japanese due the CJK characters and to test RTL writing
> - Russian due to Cyrillic charachters
> - Arabic due to the characters and to test bidi writing

I doubt that we'll see the same number of people step up, that OOo saw
(say) a year ago. With the stagnation during the Sun/Oracle
acquisition, with the LibreOffice initiative, and with the recent move
to the ASF, the entire ecosystem is kind of separated. I believe it
will take some time for the system to settle down and for people to
decide where they would like to contribute.

It would be great to place the above onto our wiki as "nice to have".
But I believe it will take us a while to reach it.

> So, we could stick with this (or maybe exchange the one or other language if
> is no volunteer to test at the moments, maybe French -->
> Brazilian-Portuguese ?).

Not sure about this. Again, I think we'd need to look at what help
arrives. Brazilians are awesome in the Free software space. It is
really a national thing.

> ---
>
> 3. Tests for release builds are out of scope at the moment, but more
> language tests the better.
>
> BTW:
> We have also smoke tests. If I'm not wrong these should be included in the
> source code.

Yes. Please see that any l10n tests get into the main code base!

Cheers,
-g