incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Top level question on website migration
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:12:07 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2011, at 2:37 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>
> wrote:

require a dynamic
Rob's  discussion
Open   Social.

> >> advantage

I can't
> >> get

> >> So
> >> www.apache.orgwhich

> >> That's
> >> center
> >> disk.

> >> missed
> >> Collbanet

> is
> >> you.
> can
> riddled
> >> with
> >> jail/virtual os
> >> make
> >>
> >> Joe, thanks for setting the bar. It might be high, but I agree that if
> we
> >> (AOOo) decides that we need to have a dynamic website as some type of
> >> support hub that we have a big task that requires careful design and
> >> implementation.
> >>
> >> If we had a webapps that sits on Tomcat would that help lower the bar,
> if
> >> only slightly?
> >>
> >> Alexandro, I really like your ideas that you expressed about linking OOo
> >> users instantly to a support network. Whatever might be developed by
> AOOo to
> >> do that will need to be very scalable. And if we mean dynamic then we
> aren't
> >> discussing mirrors so much.
> >>

> > I don't want to spend too much time talking about this simply because in
> > LibreOffice this topic was a huge and I mean HUGE flamewar that lasted
> > longer than a solar storm.  Big +100 emails discussions, pretty scary
> > scenario.
>
> Understood. It does help to have specific examples so we really are talking
> about the same topic.
> >
> > Leaving that war scar aside, I mean from a simple thing like managing
> menus
> > and contents (an all traditional HTML structure is horrible). Things from
> > news items, to just organizing and updating the menus on every page of
> the
> > site is a pain in the butt.
>
> Menus are in one place - sidenav.mdtext

Right the issue becomes what happens when I need a localized menu and who
has access to that chunk of data?

Kenai and Collabnet both worked the same way, they had multiple chunks of
HTML that could be modular, except the access was restricted and dialog was
slow. So we never got arround the localization issue.

If you look at http://es.openoffice.org you will see that is heavily
modified and a lot of CSS-display: none was used so we could use what we
needed. Obviously all this are hacks and what it shouldt be. Ideally we
would have our own HTML chunk that we can modify as needed. Hopefully easier
like a YAML structure.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español