incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Top level question on website migration
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 17:44:41 GMT

On Jun 27, 2011, at 10:08 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

> Am 06/27/2011 02:28 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> Assuming we're not trying for a "big bang" migration where we move
>> everything at once, it seems we have two main approaches:
>>
>> 1) Assign existing OpenOffice.org DNS to Apache now.  For services
>> which we have not yet migrated to Apache we redirect back to Oracle's
>> server, by IP address.  As additional services are migrated to Apache,
>> we remove redirects.
>>
>> 2) Do it in the opposite direction:   DNS goes to Oracle's servers and
>> they redirect to Apache for services that we've migrated.  As services
>> are migrated we ask Oracle to add additional requests.  When
>> everything is migrated then we switch over the DNS.
>>
>> #1 seems a lot cleaner to me, and requires less coordination with
>> Oracle.  We control the DNS, redirects and generally set the pace of
>> migration.  But are there protocols beyond http/https that we need to
>> worry about?  For example, any ftp, smtp, nntp, etc. that would
>> complicate things?
>
> +1
>
> With 2) we would need to rely more on what Oracle is doing for us.

Joe Schaefer has requested the Zone file for openoffice.org to be used in a private discussion
on infrastructure.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com>
> Date: June 26, 2011 8:38:12 AM PDT
> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Preserving Legacy Content (was: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC
members - AND USERS)

> At this point infrastructure would be interested in
> seeing the DNS zone file for openoffice.org, so we
> can get some idea of how many different services
> we're talking about.
>

> If someone has that information, please forward it
> to me privately.  Thanks.

I think that Infrastructure will have a definite opinion. I think for DNS there really isn't
much choice to deviate from 1)

a) Transfer Domain Registration to ASF
b) Copy Zone files to ASF's DNS providers.
c) Change authoritative DNS servers to Oracle.

Once (a) and (b) are done the DNS for OpenOffice is completely in our hands.

Of course, there may be issues with doing so, but that's for Network savvy people to know
after they actually see what is going on in the Zone file.

>> If we can agree on the general approach I don't see why we couldn't
>> start some migration this week.  Bugzilla, for example, seems to be a
>> straightforward.

Bugzilla is customized to provide help with choosing the correct component for the bug. This
is due to both the large number of application parts and languages.

There was no clear preference expressed between JIRA and Bugzilla. I think JIRA provides better
project management facility and I have been using for 9 years. But that's just me. I asked
on Infra and Mark Thomas said that he might have a preference based on size. I suppose that
is more a question of which Apache service has the most headroom right now plus backup sizes.

At this point though I think the consensus may turn out to be a move the Bugzilla. The overriding
reason would be that the OOo community is ued to it. Even this requires co-ordination with
Oracle.

a) Oracle puts the OOo bugzilla in read-only.
b) Oracle (or us) exports the whole bugzilla.
c) ASF Infra imports OOo bugzilla database into bugzilla - either a separate or the global.
	bugzilla input is not customized.
d) AOOo team adds appropriate frontend to markdown site. (This could be done in parallel to
a, b and c.)
e) ASF Infrastructure redirects issues.openoffice.org to our new url.

One question, and this has been mentioned by Kay Schenk in another thread is managing all
the redirections.

Since there is a lot of URL rewriting that is going to be involved, we need to find out how
that ought to happen.

Regards,
Dave