incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Wiki for the project
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:04:15 GMT

On Jun 14, 2011, at 2:50 PM, Simon Brouwer wrote:

>>> I see and I get your point now. I agree we need a certain
>>> degree of separation but that does not necessarily need to
>>> be in the form of two distinct wikis.
>>>
>>> Having two sections in a common wiki would allow to easily
>>> move content over, as occasionally done with OOo where
>>> feature developers kept draft documentation for their
>>> features while in development and then docs folks
>>> clean it up and move the content over to the documentation
>>> section.
>>>
>>> Also, a common entry portal then leading off to user-facing
>>> documentation or developer documentation or project related
>>> pages would reveal the mechanics of the project to those
>>> who are unfamiliar with how open source projects work and
>>> may help make this more transparent.
>> If we want to have different groups of users with update rights we should definitely
have two wikis.

>> See https://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/ for the instructions regarding confluence.
>>
>> We could start with the following confluence wiki spaces:
>>
>> (1) ooo-dev - for developer facing documentation.
>>
>> (2) ooo-user - for a prospective user wiki. We can debate whether confluence, MediaWiki,
moinmoin or ? are best by experimenting with various approaches.

>> (3) ooo - for the project website. There are options here as well CMS, moinmoin,
Forrest, ...

> What would the ooo wiki contain that wouldn't fit in the ooo-dev wiki?

The ooo-dev wiki is the project wiki and could open to more than committers.

The ooo wiki could be the basis for the project website which is more official and is maintained
by the committers to the project.

If organized in layers with the user first.

(A) ooo-user - the wiki for users that includes the ability for the whole OOo community at
large to contribute to documentation.

(B) ooo - the project site which holds everything together. Does it replace the backbone of
openoffice.org? I don't know, but we'll need something.

(C) ooo-dev - the project development wiki.

In the end I see (A) and (C) being parts of the website along with the QA/ bugzilla / JIRA
section.

Regards,
Dave