incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Top level question on website migration
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:31:28 GMT
----- Original Message ----

I think
> >  that
> > server,
> > about
  Social.

> >  > > > > Static  content (however  generated) is  supported.

> >  > > Subversion is CRUD, and much  more.  Really you should take  advantage
> > >  >

> > > Subversion is NOT CRUD. If I want to add a form  to a  site, I can't get
> > it
> > > connect the data to a  datasource in SVN.
> >
> > The sites are static, but they are generated  from a subversion tree.  So
> > no,
> > you can't "connect to svn"  from the site.  But look at www.apache.orgwhich
> > has lots of  "dynamic" content tho it is also uses the CMS.
> >
> > > So having  a  sign up sheet or a
> > > locate the closest OOo support center. I  can't make that  with
> > Subversion.
> >
> > It isn't the  point of the main website to provide signup sheets.  That's
> >  something
> > a link to a wiki page can provide.  Finding the closest  OOo support center
> > is
> > something a CGI script can do that has  access to read-only data on disk.
> >

> Well I have ran main websites  for  projects for while, and I have missed
> this functionality many  times. We also were very frustrated with Collbanet
> and other structures  asking for true dynamic platform.

So far the only person I see expressing frustration over the situation is you.
If there ever comes a time that a sufficient number of OOo committers can
demonstrate
some ability to maintain and operate a dynamic website that isn't riddled with
chronic security flaws, infra will be more than happy to setup a jail/virtual os
for you to use as you see fit.  In the meantime I suggest you learn to make
proper
use of the CMS.