incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Can we release OOo_3.4.0 install sets and language packs? (was: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?)
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:49:18 GMT
Hi Kazunari,

Le 17 juin 11 à 09:13, Kazunari Hirano a écrit :

> Hi Eric,
>
> I am the marketing project coordinator for OpenOffice.org Japanese
> Language Project, which has promoted OpenOffice.org in a number of
> ways in Japan and increased user base, individual users, business
> users, local government users in Japan.

I know, but the "Lead" system belongs to the past.

Now we have to rebuild everything.

> They are using OpenOffice.org
> 3.3.0 now.  They are waiting for 3.4.0.

Is is possible to simply build and release it ? the code is
available, and those builds could be provideded as rc ?  (if I'm not
wrong)

> I take accountability.  I have to tell them about the new release
> and what happened to OpenOffice.org.
> That's why I needed an answer to the question about the new release.
>
> Greg Stein is a great Apache committer, I believe.
> http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
> As I read his posts to this list, I trust him.

Sure I trust him too, but since LO and TDF have been created you are
on both sides, and I fear that what you want to communicate will
simply be catastrophic for the current OpenOffice.org effort.

So please, there is no urgency, and we must take care to not
communicate badly.

> Greg said, "I would be surprised if a release is made this year."
>
> This is a clear message.
> I trust his word.
> It means "It will not happen soon," and "We don't know when it will
> happen."
>
> Good to have the answer because I can answer my colleagues and users.
> :)

IMHO, the better is to not speculate about "when", but explain "what"
has to be done, and "how" instead  ;-)

Regards,
Eric Bachard

--