incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffu...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping a build
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 01:36:41 GMT

--- On Wed, 6/15/11, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 06:10,
> Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>
> wrote:
> > Moin,
> >
> > there are two things about building OOo that need to
> be clarified.
> >
> > Currently we use "configure" to set the build
> environment. The way we are
> > doing it requires that a few GPLed files are part of
> our code repository:
> >
> > acinclude.m4
> > aclocal.m4
> > config.guess
> > config.sub
> > configure
> >
> > "configure" is generated from "configure.in" that
> AFAIK is owned by Oracle
> > and also resides in OOo's code repository.
>
> As mentioned later in this thread, some of that should be
> just fine.
> Some of the macros may need to be ripped out.
>
> Build artifacts like 'configure' should not be placed into
> source control. Each developer should generate that after
> pulling from source control.

"configure" is rather uninteresting, but the source package
must include it, unless oe expect builders to download a
specific version of autoconf.

> There has been conversation about hosting this at
> apache-extras.org,
> but ... what do the TDF/LO folks do? Are they just using
> dmake from
> the OOo repository, and hoping that it won't go away? Have
> they moved away from dmake?

AFAICT it's still on their repository. I don't think it
matters to them to carry yet another GPL(v1) package.

> If not, then where are the FreeBSD and Debian getting the
> code from?

FreeBSD has a dmake package available (we get the source
tarball from Debian). For now it's not being used to build
OOo but we can use it anytime, assuming dmake in OOo goes
away.

> Can't we just use it from there?

Sure. Hopefully it won't be needed anymore after incubation
though.

> Goal here being: can we avoid dealing with getting dmake
> onto apache-extras, and just use whatever other people
> are doing already?

YUP, no need to mirror it again.

Pedro.