incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:00:04 GMT

On Jun 20, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Herbert Duerr wrote:

> On 20.06.2011 14:33, Rob Weir wrote:
>> I'm having difficulty reconciling the openoffice.org email forwarding
>> service with how Apache projects work.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> And remember, committers are given email forwards via an a.o email
>> address.  So there is no functional requirement that I can see for an
>> OOo address, other than the conventional postmaster and admin
>> addresses.
>>
>> So I'd favor ending the OOo email forwarding.
>
> This would be very bad for e.g. issue tracking. I'm not sure how the bugtracker database
will get imported though. I think it would be useful if the issue reporters, owners or people
who put themselves on the CC list of an issue could see the progress of their favourite tasks.
The openoffice.org addresses were used e.g. for notifications or for attributing an issue
comment to a user.

We certainly need a plan that does not simply stop openoffice.org email.

We certainly need to make decisions based on all the email lists that currently exist - which
apache.org or other mailing list is the replacement.

For notifications about issues both JIRA and Bugzilla can be set to notify the proper apache.org
mailing list.

Does anyone have a handle on the numbers?

How many individual forwards do we have?

It would help to have some data before discussing with Infrastructure what they are willing
to support and when.

>> The alternative would be to continue this service, but that begs the
>> question of who is permitted such an address, what such an address
>> means, who decides and what criteria are used to decide who gets such
>> an address?
>
> In the old project everybody who wanted to e.g. add a detail to an issue could get such
an address within a few minutes. This is similar to how many other projects work, e.g. KDE.

So, ANYONE could get an openoffice.org email alias for their real email address?

And there must be infrastructure to be able to change that email address and cancel it as
well.

Messy, the bugzilla transition is therefore entangled with how we deal with openoffice.org.

Does this personal openoffice.org email forwarding also entangle with the user forum transitions?

Regards,
Dave