incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: User facing web items
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:08:20 GMT
If (and that's a big if) infra are willing to host software for you the license is not an issue.
We won't distribute incompatibly licensed software it but we use it. The rules are to make
sure users can do what ever they want with our software, when it comes to support for developers
you'll find the ASF to be very pragmatic.

Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)

On 18 Jun 2011, at 14:46, Andy Brown <> wrote:

> Hi Zoltan,
> Zoltan wrote:
>> 2011.06.18. 1:33 keltezéssel, Andy Brown írta:
>>> Hi Ross,
>>> I know from conversations that the forum is hosted on Oracle servers,
>>> in Germany, if I am not mistaken.
>> Yes.
>> I'm co-admin of Hungarian forum from start of HU user forum, and
>> volunteer from EN forum start.
>>> The Admin is an employee of Oracle.
>> Half true. Oracle/Sun provides space in virtualized servers, if
>> something happens with servers which needs phiscally touch it, then
>> Oracle admin mange it.
>> All the other case the user forum admin Terry Ellison works, he manage
>> the common for all forums database and webserver, MySQL and phphBB 3.0.x.
>> Language co-admins make language dependent work, works with spams, rouge
>> users, etc.
>> The Oracle only help us providing infrastructure (server space and
>> bandwith), not more.
>> The forums runs in common database and webserver.
>>> The moderators are from all over and volunteers for the most part. If
>>> it can not hosted on Apache servers then I am afraid that it will be
>>> lost and all the help that it has for users.
>> If not Apache will support this, we needs to search founding and run in
>> other place to support users, which is our will.
>>> "Is a forum the right solution today", good question but I have seen
>>> flame wars break out over that very topic in some mailing list. I
>>> prefer mailing list but understand why end users prefer a forum so I
>>> would support us keeping it.
>> Users forums started before the TDF was formed, their mailing list and
>> forum discussions not problem for us, we support all OOo derivate
>> software users, to help them, if we can answer their problems.
>> Zoltan
>>> Andy
> Good to see you here. :)  Terry and I have been in contact an he corrected me on his
role as Admin.  He also told me that the license for the Forums is Copyleft which, if I understand
correctly will prevent them from being on ASF servers.  If they are part of the grant then
I guess that could change.  I am looking as some alternate options in case ASF can not host
the forums.
> Andy
> (therabi)

View raw message