incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <giffu...@tutopia.com>
Subject Re: Some more strange files in the OOo code
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 07:49:39 GMT
 On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 08:55:34 +0200, Mathias Bauer
 <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 22.06.2011 01:07, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>> --- On Tue, 6/21/11, Mathias Bauer<Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>  wrote:

>> Cleanups are boring but not difficult. I do think we should
>> focus on having things build first though.
>
> I'm glad that I'm not the only one who prefers to do some work over
> discussing about other applications. :-)

 Other applications are better discussed in *other* lists :).

>> I don't know if someone wants to spend time and effort on it
>> later on but we can import some of the LibreOffice enhancements:
>> if the changes involve only removing code we don't need a
>> license for that.
>
> Interesting. But it's easier and less work to do that by ourselves.
> And IMHO removing superfluous comments or unused code is better done
> on the fly while you are at the file anyway.

 I only mentioned it JIC there is some interest in keeping our code-
 base in sync with "that other project that has become a problem to
 even mention" ;).

>>> Anyway, let's talk about OOo now.
>>>

>> Great idea :) Have you seen where the GNU regex code is?
>> I suspect GNU regex is the only piece we need to replace,
>> the rest of the packages with problematic licenses can
>> either be made optional or removed.
>
> I don't agree completely. Indeed regexp is the only part of the
> source code repository that needs a replacement, but there are
> several
> external source tarballs we include into an OOo build that contain
> important functionality, e.g. spell checking. We can't make that
> optional or remove it, we have to find a replacement.

 Ispell is BSD licensed and has many dictionaries, but I have no
 Idea if it has all the required functionality. Alternatively
 we can just add a dependency to the GNU stuff like we will
 wave to do with gtk/qt.

 For regex there are many alternatives: in FreeBSD there is an ongoing
 project to replace GNU regex with a compatible library, but in this
 case I'd like to see Google's RE2 because it's in C++ and (apparently)
 as fast as it gets.

> We will know more as soon as the external source tarballs' licenses
> are clear.

 Yup, I still need to learn patience.

 Pedro.