incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <a...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Certification programs (was: Differences between OOO and LibreOffice)
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:04:12 GMT
Isn't this related to certification programs?  Speaking of which, does
anyone have a brief explanation and some links to any existing official
OOo certification or training or similar programs?

This is a major area for end users (and trainers, consultants, and the
like) that we need to figure out how to effectively transition to the ASF.

As a non-profit public charity, the mission of the ASF is to produce
software for the public good, given away freely.  The way that the ASF
does this is loosely known as the Apache Way, which is mostly about
meritocratic communities making consensus based decisions on project
directions, leading to high quality software that everyone can use.

Along with our software, our projects also offer basic community-led
support and help, through our mailing lists and bugtrackers.  However
the ASF does not directly offer support contracts, trainings,
certification, or other services about our products.  This is because of
our volunteer nature, and the fact that we do not charge for any of the
software (or services) that we provide.

I'm sure we can provide sufficiently documented licensing procedures for
trainers who want to provide certifications in Apache OO, although it
may take a little while to get it right, and to ensure the Apache folk
here understand what's important to the broader and pre-existing OOo
community.

- Shane