incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Speaking of JIRA, Where's Ours?
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:56:31 GMT
Here's a meta-question for those who've previously worked on OOo: who
are the primary users of the bugtracking system?

Most other Apache projects have sysadmins or developers as the primary
customers, hence the majority of people both seeking help on a product,
and the majority of people actually coming to file a bug report (or
track one) have some technical experience.

In OOo, are the bugtrackers aimed at developers, end users, or a mix of
both?  And for the end users, do they mostly just submit reports to the
bugtracker, or do they actively use the other features in the bugtracker?

Thinking through how end users get support might help, because if 1)
some end users use the lists, and don't really use the bugtracker,
that's important to know, and 2) because if most end users really only
ever submit bugs (but not search/track them, other than to get notified
of their own bug), that is useful to know.

----

In terms of ASF infrastructure, most other projects have/or/are
migrating away from Bugzilla (to simplistic and hard to get good
reports) over to JIRA (perhaps slow and complicated, but you can usually
get what you want out of it).  But either is a supported tool at Apache.

Note that if a project wants a custom JIRA or Bugzilla install, with
extra modules or something, that's possible to do - especially if the
project has some reliable volunteers that will assist in both deploying
and supporting the customizations.

- Shane

On 6/30/2011 11:53 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> I'd like to reopen this question,since I haven't seen a resolution.
>
> I'm hearing some proposing Bugzilla, because of familiarity and ease
> of migration.
>
> I'm also hearing some say that JIRA is superior.
>
> I'm not really persuaded by either argument.  I wonder if we could
> briefly drill down into this a bit more.
>
> 1) I read that the  OOo bugzilla has been customized.  Can anyone
> explain the nature of the customizations?
>
> 2) In what sense if JIRA better?  IMHO all defect tracking systems
> suck.  But I'm open to the possibility that some suck less.
>
> 3) On migration, would it be reasonable to attempt a sandboxed trial
> migration of Bugzilla to JIRA, and let skeptics poke at it for a
> while, to see if, for example, IDs are preserved, etc.?  Would that be
> much work?  The easiest way to convince people that JIRA is possible
> and reasonable might be to actually do it.
>
> 4) What are the downsides of Bugzilla?  If it is a supported option at
> Apache, wouldn't that be the obvious choice?  I think we'd need to
> make a good case for why an alternative would be better.  What are,
> say, the top 3 things that JIRA would do better than Bugzilla?
>
> -Rob
>

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>  wrote:

>>> Yes, keeping issue ids is the most important thing. Which bug tracker we use
would be a second order priority for me.