incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jhrecht...@web.de>
Subject Re: Naming of trunk and feature branches
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:42:15 GMT
On 06/29/2011 03:54 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 06/29/2011 03:39 PM, schrieb Michael Stahl:
>> On 29.06.2011 15:03, Greg Stein wrote:
>>> Branches can be named whatever we'd like. My own preference would be
>>> to call this: /branches/3.4.x
>>>
>>> The "OOO" is awfully redundant, and the last digit ("0") doesn't make
>>> sense since we would be releasing patches from the branch such as
>>> 3.4.1. The "3.4.x" naming is used by many products, and it has worked
>>> out very well.
>>
>> it wouldn't be a surprise to me if the reason for the "OOO340" name
>> would be that it has to be exactly 3 letters followed by exactly 3
>> digits, or otherwise some tooling breaks.

I'm sure there will be a few tooling breaks when we change the naming
scheme, but not as many as some people assume :-) They also will be
easily fixed.

>> for example, the 2.4.x CVS release branch was called OOH680 (what the
>> heck does that mean?)
>
> oh yes, right, I remember there was a special purpose for these naming
> schema. Let's see what Heiner will tell us. :-P

The naming scheme was invented long before CWSs and milestone builds
were introduced. It made kinda sense back then and stayed simply due to
inertia. Agreed it looks rather arbitrary from the outside but so are
code names like "Karmic Koala" or Linux kernel versions like 2.6.39.2
... yes I know they have fixed that recently :-)

The only important thing is that people have a name for what they are
speaking about. Typically what is needed is a name for each code line. A
code line in the OOo context usually represented a feature release plus
subsequent bug fix releases.

With the old scheme of having one feature release and one bug fix
release alternating every quarter of a year plus security fixed for up
to seven year old releases we had a whole bunch of code lines. I'm glad
we have now the opportunity to clean this up.

For reference (not everyone here might know the old naming scheme):

DEV300 is what people in other projects might call the trunk, the main
development code line. All new features went into DEV300. The last
milestone on this code line was m106.

When OOo neared a new feature release, a release code line was opened by
branching of from the main development code line for stabilizing. The
last one was called OOO340 for the upcoming OOo 3.4 release.
Incidentally OOO340 was branched of DEV300 m106, thus there is no new
stuff in the main development code line DEV300 which is not also in
OOO340. Lucky timing, for once. There was just one milestone m1 on
OOO340 with the integration of about a handful of bug fixes and a few
late features.

Heiner

--
Jens-Heiner Rechtien