incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Build-Translate-Plan
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:15:59 GMT
Am 06/29/2011 04:21 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Greg Stein<gstein@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 09:11, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>>> Right. Maybe we should split this into 2 parts:
>>>
>>> 1. The very first build(s) to handle fixes for build breaker:
>>> IMHO here it should be enough to have en-US only
>>
>> For better or worse, the ASF is US-centric, so this makes sense.
>>

> For a smoke test I'd still do at least one other language.  One
> possible error is that a programmer hard codes a UI string rather than
> using a resource file.  If we just test builds with the the English
> resources we would not catch this.

Sure, should be easy to build another package frequently. But how to
make sure that you hit the needed language? ;-)

We have done this, too, to see if the packaging besides en-US is OK in
general after the build was done. But not to test L10N.

> But since the translation files tend to lag the builds, I wonder if
> some form of "pseudo-translation" would work just as well?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudolocalization
>
> Is this something that OOo already does?

Ivo, do you know about these kind of testing? Is this done with the Key
ID builds or was this another purpose?

Marcus