incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Top level question on website migration
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 15:15:33 GMT

On 06/27/2011 07:58 AM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> On 06/27/2011 05:28 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> Assuming we're not trying for a "big bang" migration where we move
>>> everything at once, it seems we have two main approaches:
>>>
>>> 1) Assign existing OpenOffice.org DNS to Apache now.  For services
>>> which we have not yet migrated to Apache we redirect back to Oracle's
>>> server, by IP address.  As additional services are migrated to Apache,
>>> we remove redirects.
>>>

>> Well given the state of the project as it exists today in the Apache
>> environment, I think this is fraught with MANY problems. What is "up" on
>> Apache right now is really insignificant compared to what is available via
>> OpenOffice.org. I think before doing this, we'd need to make a VERY
>> comprehensive mapping list of what would be going where.
>> I don't mean to overburden everyone with "details", but I think a
>> "migration plan" complete with "areas" and timeframes might be in order.
>> This would be useful to determine scope as well as creating a reasonable
>> schedule.
>>
>> Someone would spend a LOT of time maintaining the redirect business.
>> I'm concerned with acccess "blips" given this approach. Timing is
>> everything.
>>
>> Additionally, some people, like me, have edit (committer) rights on parts
>> of the OpenOffice web server to continue to make changes (if only
>> informative) and no similar rights on Apache. Right now, I'm not doing much
>> except trying to keep some reasonable info about the move updated on the
>> OpenOffice.org site on some of the primary pages. But...I really have NO
>> idea what others with commit rights are doing on that server at the moment.
>> This would be interesting to find out.
>

> I havent been able to do any commits to the site yet, but I also wonder what
> is the status of this current site. Is there going to be any SSI? Who
> choosed that template?

Not sure how to answer this since I don't even know if it HAS a
template. ????

Since I know little about kenai, I don't know anything about it handles
templates, but the site looks pretty much the same as it did before the
move.

  How can I go about it to change it and if it's good
> idea to simply change it as please.

The site uses ssh+svn (svn with ssh tunneling) see:
http://kenai.com/projects/help/pages/SourceControl

You need your own private ssh key uploaded through your OO.o private key.

If you have your own OO.o ID and login, you should be able to see what
projects you are a member of and what rights you have to them.

> Sound a bit rookish questions but also wonder what is the direction of that
> site.

Well...it's my understanding that eventually it will cease to exist, at
some point yet to be determined. Thus, we need to put whatever effort we
can into this new Apache endeavor.