incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jhrecht...@web.de>
Subject Re: An svn question
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:42:44 GMT
On 06/27/2011 01:08 AM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 08:21, Jens-Heiner Rechtien<jhrechtien@web.de>  wrote:
>> On 06/23/2011 09:17 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

>>> Yup. Here is how the Subversion project itself uses branches:
>>>

>>> http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/general.html#branch-policy
>>>

>>> Regarding the existing CWSs, those repositories "should be" imported
>>> as branches here at the ASF. I'm not entirely sure how to gather up a
>>> bunch of Hg repositories and blend them into a single repository, but
>>> that would be best. We can then convert that single Hg repository to
>>> Subversion and load the sucker onto svn.apache.org.
>>
>> Merging them in hg is easy, just pull/merge. But ... we are talking about a
>> hundred or so CWSs here. In all kinds of readiness states.
>> http://hg.services.openoffice.org
>>
>> If we merge them now, we won't have a working OOo for a long time. Now, we
>> could skip the merge part and leave the heads "dangling". Hg heads are kinda
>
> That's what I was thinking. And then map these "dangling" heads to
> individual branches in svn.
>
>> anonymous branches in Mercurial. Don't know if a repository with multiple
>> heads can be converted to SVN. Probably quite tricky (the tool would need to
>> generate sensible names for the different heads).
>
> If the converter tool doesn't have the feature, it seems pretty
> straight-forward to add code to either provide a name mapping for
> them, or auto-generate names.

The anonymous heads could be marked with the cws name as a mercurial
bookmark, just after the individual pull step. That way the information
is at least already in the all-in-one hg repository. A smart converter
could use them to generate svn branch names. Something along this lines:

$ cd <all-in-one-respository>
$ hg pull ../cws/os151

... the latest changeset of CWS os151 is now tip

$ hg bookmark -r tip os151

$ hg bookmarks
    os151                     276718:f4d674e63830

Heiner

--
Jens-Heiner Rechtien