incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ivo Hinkelmann <krei...@googlemail.com>
Subject Introduction
Date Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:50:09 GMT
Hi,

I like to introduce my self. My name is Ivo Hinkelmann (ihi at
openoffice.org, ivo at apache.org). I am involved into OpenOffice.org
since 2002. I am currently employed by Sun/Oracle but I am here as an
individual. This and all post made by me in the future does not reflect
any company opinion that I am affiliated with but is my own opinion.

My main focus is in and around localization. L10n tooling within and
outside the code base, (automated-) import and export, bug hunting and
so on.

The localization contributions are very important for the OpenOffice.org
project as it is the key to spread the product all over the world. We
started with about 15 languages back in the year 2002 to more then 100
today. The translation, l10n qa, promotion etc is done by thousands of
sedulous contributors over the years. The translation data is huge (one
language about 12mb) and is constantly changing (more or less 10% - 20%
each release).

I am pleased to see the OpenOffice.org project now has a cozy home at
the Apache Foundation with their countless top class projects. I will do
my best to let this podling thrive and prosper. I am happy that already
lots of OpenOffice.org translators and other community members joined
here and hope we can involve a lot of new people to participate as well.
According to wikipedia there are 6500 languages worldwide so we should
aim to get the missing 6400 into the product in the long term :D

Cheers,
Ivo