incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dick Groskamp <th.grosk...@quicknet.nl>
Subject Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:18:59 GMT
Op 25-6-2011 17:23, Rob Weir schreef:
> Thanks for the list.  I looked around.  Some lists are very active.
> Some have not seen activity for a year or more.  Some seem to never
> have been active.  And some are just full of spam :-(
>
> I can see three ways to decide what to do (but maybe someone has other ideas?):
>
> 3) Create lists only when there is a sufficient number of project
> members on the Apache list asking for new list.
+1
> Right now we have just a single discussion pubic list, ooo-dev.  I can
> easily imagine, that once we have some code checked in and start
> actively working on making our first release, that the traffic in that
> one list will be larger enough that we'll want to split into
> specialized functional lists, maybe:
> [snip]
>
> I don't think we're there yet, but I can certainly see that happening
> in the next few weeks/months.
I can surely agree with that
> 1) Do we want Apache to host a Pootle server?  If so, we need to put
> together that request and make it happen.
O yes please...... (but I was the main cinbtributor for that on the
"old" project for the Dutch language.)

But there was another reason. SUN/Oracle made the builds with about 8
langiages EMBEDDED in them.
Yes, indeed one of them was Dutch.  :-)

Furthermore the proces was more and more set to be automated. Source
strings were fed to POOTLE.
The translators for each language could then do their job in POOTLE and
engineers from SUN/Oracle
pulled, when they could use them in htier proces, the strings from
POOTLE and proces them towards the build.
Last minute translations could mostly be delivered on time for the final
pull for releases

Since localization seemed to be always at the end of the proces
translators had to work under duress.
This way the pressure was less at the end of the proces since strings
were already for the biggest part already
translated.

If not using POOTLE you will have to think of a way to collect the
tranlations to put them into the build.
Will APACHE build the same EMBEDDED builds as SUN/Oracle did or willl
there only be languagepacks.
If the latter who will make them ?
> 2) Did the Oracle SGA include all of the language translation sources?
>   If not, we need to identify what is missing
> [snip]
> Apache is different.
No problem with that at all. Most of us just want to produce a nice
working officesuite

--
DiGro

Windows 7 and OpenOffice.org 3.3
Scanned with Ziggo uitgebreide Internetbeveiliging (F-Secure)