incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How about a next-generation approach to user support?
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:09:43 GMT
DEFINITELY worth investigating from my perspective! :) Anything that can
make overall "support areas" easier to maintain, whether it's this
facility or some other DB driven mechanism is worth the effort.

I have never been really directly involved in "end user" support for
OpenOffice.org but this is definitely worth pursuing.

On 06/25/2011 06:33 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>  From a user's perspective, maximum satisfaction comes from not having
> a question in the first place.  The product just works intuitively.
> They don't need to interrupt their task to find out '"How do I do X?".
>   If they need to search for an answer to a question, the product has
> already failed them, at least in a small way.  The next best thing is
> to have an answer readily available in the in-product documentation,
> in the help system, which should be indexed and searchable.  If that
> fails, then the user typically searches the web.  If they cannot find
> an answer at that point, then they end up posting a question on a
> support list or support forum.  If they get an answer 24 hours or 8
> hours later, or even 1 hour later, then their task has been
> interrupted.  The product has let them down.  Of course, this is far
> better than the customer just giving up and not telling us what was
> confusing to them.  It is better than them moving to another product
> because they cannot figure something out with OpenOffice.  But it
> still represents a long string of lost opportunities.  The user
> doesn't want support.  They want to work on their task.  Support is
> the last resort.
>
> So we should think of a support site as **a way for users to get
> questions answered**.  This does not necessarily mean that they need
> to post questions.  A good support site will make it possible for
> users to find answers to many or even most questions without having to
> ask them.  This is done via FAQs, good search facilities, etc.  A good
> support site should also be SEO-savvy, and follow best practices for
> indexing by Google, Yahoo and Bing, and others.  Most users with
> questions will start from the search form in their browser than will
> start at whatever support site we create.
>
> So this leads us to want to maximize the value of questions and
> answers previous asked, to build a repository of wisdom and
> experience, especially for the most-asked questions.
>
> I think it is critical to keep in mind the accumulative value
> generation aspect of lists and forums, how the questions and answers
> build up a repository of information that helps us (the project
> members) understand the common user problems in the product. But it
> also feeds the search engines, so users can find the information they
> seek without having to post a question.  With commercial software
> vendors, you often see this feedback loop.  The support department
> identifies the top issues for new product releases and feeds that
> information to development.  They also look at most common questions
> and write them up as tech notes or FAQ's.  Developers take turns
> listening in on support calls, so they have a greater appreciation for
> the problems that real customers are running into.  The ultimate goal
> is user/customer satisfaction.  Not volume of support calls, or number
> of questions asked, or number of forum posts.  A large volume of
> [...]

MzK

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
  that 'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and
  I'll just start over kind of attitude."
                   -- "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose