incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jhrecht...@web.de>
Subject Re: An svn question
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2011 12:05:28 GMT
Hi Mathias,

On 06/23/2011 07:15 PM, Mathias Bauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm no svn expert, but I hope to find some here.
>
> We still have a lot of work in so called child workspaces (in Mercurial
> they are just an own repository that originates from the "main"
> repository). When I thought about possible ways to move them to the
> Apache repository, I had the idea that doing this as a patch might be
> the easiest way:
>
> - it's trivial to create a patch of a CWS containing all changes
> - the patch does not have any copyright problems as all changes in it
> are done by Oracle employees or by other developers under SCA
> - changes on problematic files will just not apply if the file is not in
> the basic svn repo of OOo
>
> Sounds like a good idea, doesn't it?
>
> But now I recognized that this idea was based on the wonderful feature
> that the "git extended" diff format offers. It allows to have file
> removal, addition or renaming (that includes moves in the tree) or file
> attribute changes in the diff and by using "hg patch" (and not the patch
> command of the OS) all these changes apply nicely in the target repository.
>
> I didn't find a support for this in svn, but maybe there is something
> similar or comparable we could use.

Simply use "git apply". This tool applies git style patches to a working
directory which explicitly doesn't need to be a git repository as long
the --index option is not used. Nice tool, lots of possibility to fix
whitespace etc on the fly.

Of course you'll require a working git installation on your machine and
I would recommend to do this on a Unix system.

> Another option would be to commit the initial source code (the code that
> is directly retrieved from the software grant from Oracle) into a local
> Mercurial repository, add all the patches and then convert this into an
> svn repository.
>
> What do the experts say?

Heiner

--