incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Reizinger Zoltán <zreizin...@hdsnet.hu>
Subject Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members - AND USERS
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2011 07:49:49 GMT
2011.06.24. 23:44 keltezéssel, Rob Weir írta:
> Does anyone see a difference other than the obvious difference of
> technology, between the OOo user list and the forums?  Are they being
> used for different kinds of things?  Or are they just different ways
> of doing the same things?

The user downloaded OOo from OOo site can be aware of OOo mailing lists
if met some problems - users with some knowledge.
If user get OOo without his knowledge, some admin installed on computer,
this happens in small companies or public administration,
This user - average Joe, has knowledge in other software, when met
specific problems, in most cases use some search engine to find answer,
then the forum could came first.
The second type of user prefer forums, and the first type possibly
mailing lists.

My practice on user forums and Base user and developer mailing list have
differences, in the forums core developers never posts, questions
answered by volunteers or other users.
(It takes time to crawl through all posts, the developers time worth
more than spend reading questions, easily answerable ones.)
In users mailing lists, half answers came from core developers, if they
think, the problem is real. "Easily answerable questions" answered by
volunteers.
In developer mailing list users mostly ISVs or power users use, when met
specific problems, in specific database drivers, or with programming
OOo, and answered usually by developers.

Zoltan