incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:06:52 GMT

On 06/24/2011 12:26 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> OK, yes, I saw this. Really I was confused as to what should be considered
>> the "main site". I made some changes to what is currently the "main"
>> Openoffice.org site --- www.openoffice.org -- and based on this additional
>> explanation, I will change that site again to follow this.
>>
> That is a good question.  I have my opinion, but others may have
> different thoughts.
>
> If we look at the existing OpenOffice.org, we see a mix of services,
> and maybe can divide it into two categories:
>
> - Pages and services that are used by the project volunteers (dev, qa,
> translation, marketing, UI, support education, etc.) to build,
> distribute and promote OpenOffice
>
> - Pages and services used by the users of OpenOffice (downloads,
> tutorials, online documentation, etc.)
>
> I think we need a plan to preserve all the needed user-facing pages,
> and to preserve all the incoming links to those pages from other
> websites.  Yahoo reports that there are 1.2 million "backlinks" to
> OpenOffice.org.  We don't want to break those links.   So as we move
> these services to Apache, we'll need to have a good set of mod_rewrite
> rules to redirect browsers to the right pages.

Pretty daunting.
> We'll also need a "project website" for the resources that the project
> volunteers need access to.  That will probably remain at an Apache
> address, like openoffice.apache.org.  I believe that
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/ is the equivalent of our
> "project page" right now.
>
> So are you interested in the user-facing website?  Or the Apache
> project website?  Or do you think we should consider a different
> model?

I don't have an opinion regarding an alternative model. My former role
was simply that of a web hack for the most part with development ONLY as
it applied to web pages, i.e. javascript, etc.  As a "contributor" my
main interest is in this area --

  Pages and services used by the users of OpenOffice (downloads,
tutorials, online documentation, etc.)

What you're calling the user-facing website I guess.  So, are you
planning on actually preserving, whre they currently are, the "user
facing" site? VERY recently, it was ported to kenai which most of us are
just now trying to learn.

One thing you need to be aware of and which I was going to add to the
wiki "list" is the mirrors project and how you think that should
interact with  the new code development area. I don't know anything
about that but Tora, who just joined the list, does.
> -Ro b

MzK

"He's got that New Orleans thing crawling all over him, that good stuff,
  that 'We Are the Champions', to hell with the rest and
  I'll just start over kind of attitude."
                   -- "1 Dead in the Attic", Chris Rose