incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <>
Subject Re: Contributors versus Committers versus PMC members
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:29:27 GMT
Am 06/24/2011 03:48 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> Since almost all of us are new to Apache we're learning a lot about
> how Apache projects organize themselves.  Based on my reading, I
> understand that Apache projects have three degrees of participation:

0) Users that are just working with the software. Since this is the most
wanted thing we want to reach, IMHO we shouldn't forget for whom we are
doing all this stuff.

Especially when these users are also talking about the software (and/or
the project, too) and therefor are spreading the word about OOo, we
should count them to the circle of participants.

> 1) - 3)

> What we need to decide going forward is how we define the details of
> the Contributor/Committer/PPMC roles.
> Specifically:
> 1) In the future, will all Committers be PPMC members?  In other
> words, will these two groups be identical?  I've heard that other
> Apache projects have a subset of Committers serve on the PMC, but they
> rotate membership, so all Committers get a chance to be on the PMC.

Compared with the former project we had the Engineering Steering
Committee that has - more or less detailed - showed the direction.

I could think of to continue this kind of hierachry. So, the (P)PMC is
for guiding the way and the users/developers/committers can help to
reach this. Then of course the committee group shouldn't be to large and
could have members which are rotating from the committers/developers group.

> 2) If the Committer and PPMC groups are not identical, then what
> criteria should we use to determine who becomes a PPMC member?

IMHO in any case he has to be voted.

> 3) If someone is offered the role of Committer, how long do they have
> to sign ICLA?

Yes, good question. Somone has talked here on the list about 2 months.
That sounds find, especially when we have to take the CCLA into account,
too, and companies need more time than just filling-out and sending by

> 4) If someone is an incredible contributor to the project, say in
> testing or event planning, can they become a PPMC member?   Would they
> need to sign the ICLA even if they are never actually need to commit
> project resources?

No, if it is really QA'ing or planning/attending events as this is not
copyrighted. So, it depends on what he's doing.

 > In other words, can someone be a PMC member
> without being a Committer?

IMHO yes

> 5) Is there an term limit on PPMC membership, or criterion for
> sustained contributions and activity level?  In other words, is it a
> case of "Once elected, always a PMC member"?

PMC member for life-time? Sounds great, but it's very likey not good for
the project. ;-)

> 6) Similar for Committers.  Is there a minimum threshold level of
> activity that is needed to sustain that role?

Indeed a good question.

When someone contributed a very good thing and 10 years later there is
nothing new, is he still a committer?

View raw message