incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: An svn question
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 07:32:17 GMT
On 23.06.2011 20:02, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> Disclaimer: I am no SVN expert but I play a lot with
> FreeBSD's SVN repository.
>
> --- On Thu, 6/23/11, Mathias Bauer<Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm no svn expert, but I hope to find some here.
>>
>> We still have a lot of work in so called child workspaces
>> (in Mercurial they are just an own repository that
>> originates from the "main" repository).
>
> In subversion those are "branches", so you create a branch
> everytime there is a release or if you want to create a
> your own custom project with experimental changes that will
> be merged later on.

I know branches, we have used svn for several months.

My question was different: I wanted to know whether there is a way to
bring in change sets from one repository to another svn repository,
maybe as a branch. From a Mercurial repository we could provide a patch
in "git" format, a Mercurial bundle or the complete Mercurial repository
as a source.

Using the patch has the advantages I explained in my mail, using the
repository or the bundle might need further legal actions.

The problematic part of the transfer of the change sets is how removals,
additions or moves and renames of files are transferred. This is not
possible with simple patches and just copying source files and
committing them won't work also.

Or does svn have a command that matches the "hg addremove" command that
compares a source tree against the repo and automatically adds or
removes files? That would still leave the problem of moved files, but
AFAIK svn is not able to track moved files anyway and instead stores
this as removing and adding a file. At least that was in svn 1.5.

BTW: this is major PITA of svn. If a developer renames a file that was
changed in another branch, these changes will be lost when the branch is
merged in. Again that was in svn 1.5.

Regards,
Mathias