incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject An svn question
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 17:15:38 GMT
Hi,

I'm no svn expert, but I hope to find some here.

We still have a lot of work in so called child workspaces (in Mercurial
they are just an own repository that originates from the "main"
repository). When I thought about possible ways to move them to the
Apache repository, I had the idea that doing this as a patch might be
the easiest way:

- it's trivial to create a patch of a CWS containing all changes
- the patch does not have any copyright problems as all changes in it
are done by Oracle employees or by other developers under SCA
- changes on problematic files will just not apply if the file is not in
the basic svn repo of OOo

Sounds like a good idea, doesn't it?

But now I recognized that this idea was based on the wonderful feature
that the "git extended" diff format offers. It allows to have file
removal, addition or renaming (that includes moves in the tree) or file
attribute changes in the diff and by using "hg patch" (and not the patch
command of the OS) all these changes apply nicely in the target repository.

I didn't find a support for this in svn, but maybe there is something
similar or comparable we could use.

Another option would be to commit the initial source code (the code that
is directly retrieved from the software grant from Oracle) into a local
Mercurial repository, add all the patches and then convert this into an
svn repository.

What do the experts say?

Regards,
Mathias