incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Which website is which (was: New goals for OOo)
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:30:10 GMT
Since people have been wondering about the various websites, here's a
brief explanation:

* Apache OpenOffice.org Podling public homepage
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/

This is the official homepage of the Podling.  It is typically what
would become the official homepage of the Project once the project as a
whole graduates from the incubator.  It's the rough equivalent of
http://www.openoffice.org/ as a homepage (although obviously the current
technology and content are different).

This should have general information about the project as a whole, which
currently should include information about how the community is working
to create an Apache project, along with the obvious pointers to all the
other information about the project, various products, languages,
everything else associated.

You must be a committer to update this page, since it's part of the
official Podling's website.

* Podling status page
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html

This is where the Apache Incubator project tracks the incubation status
of this podling.  I.e., it's not for information about the Apache
OpenOffice.org code or product; it's for information about how this
community is working, and for tracking IP clearance issues and the like.
  It's essentially the metadata about how this community and this
project works as we're all moving towards a hopeful graduation to an
official Apache project.

You must be a committer to update this page, since it's part of the
official Incubator website.

* Wiki pages
Wiki pages are traditionally used for working areas for project
communities to develop new plans, or sometimes for informal or
supplementary documentation.  A few projects use a wiki for their main
documentation, although we typically prefer that the main docs and the
main website are on the new Apache CMS system.  But obviously, every
project is allowed to organize it's work in it's own fashion, as long as
the Apache infrastructure exists to support it.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Wiki+Home
This is - for the time being - a place for project committers and others
to organize a project plan for the podling.  For the next several weeks,
I imagine it will have a lot of planning going on, figuring out how to
transition all the different kinds of services and sites and
documentation on the current oo.o websites over to Apache infrastructure.

This site simply requires a wiki login to edit, so it's definitely a
place where we want all sorts of folks to help out.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOODEV/Infrastructure

I'd imagine that this is a working space for project committers to work
on the specific structural issues around transitioning the code, various
websites, and other stuff (wikis, forums, etc.) from it's existing home
to a future Apache infrastructure hosted home.  This site requires a CLA
to contribute.

Hopefully my longwinded explanation is helpful to someone!  There's a
LOT going on - both with the oo.o code itself, with the community (each
of the communities, really), with the project, and with the podling as
respects to rebooting in the Apache Way.

- Shane

P.S. I'm a Member of the ASF, and have signed up as a Mentor to help the
podling and it's community work towards graduation.   I'd love to be
able to work on the code as well - I spent a decade working on Lotus
1-2-3 and really miss being able to work on end-user software - but that
depends on my available time.  8-)