incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Sending Wiki Notifications to Mailing Lists
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 02:59:12 GMT
On 6/22/2011 21:35, Rob Weir wrote:
> Could we do daily digests for both?
>
> I realize that there may be some project members who want to get every
> update, as it happens, from the wiki.  But that is already available
> to us individually, by the "watch" feature in Confluence.  Any of us
> can subscribe to updates of a given page, or even all updates in an
> entire space.
>
> I think that would give a better balance.
>
> Maybe someone familiar with the OOo website can give some sense of the
> number of wiki updates they get per day?
>
> -Rob
The current OO.o wiki is MediaWiki-powered. As a sysop, I spend some
time reviewing the "Recent Changes" list. A setting of "most recent 100"
usually lets me see all of today's and some of yesterday's changes.

Lately (since the Apache announcement) the traffic has fallen way off,
but we still see an average of six or eight new user sign-ups every day.
Most of those never make any contributions.

(I would offer my services over here as a sysop, but I don't know much
about Confusion wikis and Meltdown syntax – well, something like that...
I suppose I can learn.) --/tj/

> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>  wrote:
>> At the Apache Software Foundation everything should happen on a public mailing list.
[1]

>> Since the wikis are not mailing lists we need take advantage of confluences ability
to email notifications. This will make Wiki changes transparent to the whole community. [2]

>> There are two options. An email with every change or a daily digest.
>>
>> For the Community Forum (OOOUSER) I propose that a daily digest be sent to ooo-dev@incubator.a.o.
>>
>> For the Developer Forum (OOODEV) I propose sending an email with every change to
ooo-commits@incubator.a.o.

>> Lazy Consensus [3] will apply.
>>
>> In consideration of our world wide audience I'll wait at least 36 hours before asking
Infrastructure and the Incubator to help implement a wiki to email policy. It can be a different
policy.