incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Files generated by Visual Studio
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 09:22:51 GMT
Hi,

On 21.06.2011 09:38, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 03:35, Mathias Bauer<Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>  wrote:
>> On 21.06.2011 09:03, Greg Stein wrote:
>>>
>>> If these files are generated, then why even put them into source
>>> control? They can simply be generated on each developers' machine as
>>> part of the build.
>>>
>>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> This would be a PITA for all developers, especially for those creating
>> releases. You can't tell them: here's the source, grab Visual Studio and use
>> it to create some more files before you can build the stuff.
>>
>> Besides that, there are no project files to create them from. And it's also
>> possible that these files have been modified in the past.
>>
>> We don't use Visual Studio for the build, only the compiler. So we don't
>> want to rely on its usage.
>>
>> It may be uncommon at Apache (perhaps even unwanted) to commit generated
>> files, but nevertheless my recommendation is to allow to make them part of
>> the software grant if that is legally possible. Everything else can be
>> discussed later.
>
> Not a problem. We're just talking about different types of "generated
> files". I'm concerned about "build outputs", but these are wizard
> outputs from the various VS tools. They are one-time outputs, rather
> than part of the build process.
>
> Thanks for the clarification!
As impatient as I am, I take a one day silence as a "lazy consensus"
that we agree in two point:

- theses files are under the copyright of the developer who contributed
them

- we want to keep them as they are generated by wizards and no build output.

I will update my lists accordingly.

Thanks,
Mathias