incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Some more strange files in the OOo code
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 06:55:34 GMT
On 22.06.2011 01:07, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> --- On Tue, 6/21/11, Mathias Bauer<Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>  wrote:

> Thanks for looking and thanks for being brave enough to post
> your opinions ;-).
>

>> So indeed nothing the LO developers have done has
>> observably improved the overall performance. The great thing
>> the LO developers did is the code cleanup. It doesn't make
>> the application faster, but handling and understanding the
>> code is improved. Perhaps it also helps with the library
>> rearrangement.
>>

> Cleanups are boring but not difficult. I do think we should
> focus on having things build first though.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who prefers to do some work over
discussing about other applications. :-)

> I don't know if someone wants to spend time and effort on it
> later on but we can import some of the LibreOffice enhancements:
> if the changes involve only removing code we don't need a
> license for that.

Interesting. But it's easier and less work to do that by ourselves. And
IMHO removing superfluous comments or unused code is better done on the
fly while you are at the file anyway.

But code cleanup is more than removing code: remove code duplications,
avoid to have several different classes to do the same etc. We have
worked on that at times, but that's something where LO really has made
some progress. And this work can be difficult (but it is still boring
;-)), because it often needs some knowledge about the code you are
changing that not every developer has.

>> Anyway, let's talk about OOo now.
>>

> Great idea :) Have you seen where the GNU regex code is?
> I suspect GNU regex is the only piece we need to replace,
> the rest of the packages with problematic licenses can
> either be made optional or removed.

I don't agree completely. Indeed regexp is the only part of the source
code repository that needs a replacement, but there are several external
source tarballs we include into an OOo build that contain important
functionality, e.g. spell checking. We can't make that optional or
remove it, we have to find a replacement.

We will know more as soon as the external source tarballs' licenses are
clear.

Regards,
Mathias