incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Files generated by Visual Studio
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 07:35:15 GMT
On 21.06.2011 09:03, Greg Stein wrote:
> If these files are generated, then why even put them into source
> control? They can simply be generated on each developers' machine as
> part of the build.
>
> Am I missing something?

This would be a PITA for all developers, especially for those creating
releases. You can't tell them: here's the source, grab Visual Studio and
use it to create some more files before you can build the stuff.

Besides that, there are no project files to create them from. And it's
also possible that these files have been modified in the past.

We don't use Visual Studio for the build, only the compiler. So we don't
want to rely on its usage.

It may be uncommon at Apache (perhaps even unwanted) to commit generated
files, but nevertheless my recommendation is to allow to make them part
of the software grant if that is legally possible. Everything else can
be discussed later.

Regards,
Mathias