incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Lange <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: "Some of our contributors" page
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 17:05:06 GMT
Am 06/18/2011 06:46 PM, schrieb Dave Fisher:

> On Jun 18, 2011, at 9:24 AM, Marcus Lange wrote:
>
>> Am 06/18/2011 05:02 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>> As was noted, we now have a basic web site set up for the project:
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/
>>>
>>> I'd like to draw attention to the "Some of our contributors" page in
>>> particular:
>>>
>>> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/people.html
>>>
>>>  From what I can tell, the intent of this page is to acknowledge contributors
>>> to the project.  And my sense was that this meant more than just committers.
>>>
>>> I added my own name, based on my contribution to getting the initial web
>>> site started.  But I think this is probably worth having a discussion on,
>>> especially since others, whose name has not been added, have also made
>>> recent contributions.
>>>
>>> Question: How should this page be managed?  Is there an Apache requirement
>>> for how this is handled?  Or does each project set its own rules?  If the
>>> later, what rules do we want?  Do we want this to be comprehensive? Or
>>> highlight only the "top contributors", by some definition.
>>
>> If only specific people, I doubt that we can find a rule that really all would agreed
to.

>>> Personally, I'd favor acknowledging many, rather than few.
>>
>> ACK, who is recognized as contributor/committer/member should be allowed to add her/his
name. Or ask to add if they cannot do it themselves.

> Each committer should update the roster to add their name, email address, affiliation
(if allowed) and area of interest.

When looking at the roaster at the HTTPD project I like the little list
for every name. You don't read just a name but also know what she/he is
doing, comes from and so on. And without to telling too much details and
private stuff. So, it's up to everybody to write that what the world is
allowed to know.

> Doing so is a great way to make sure that your apache account is properly setup and that
you will be able to commit your changes.

> It serves as a test and it let's everyone know the individuals empowered to commit then
review. All other developers will then know those empowered to review then commit.

> As committers we are the agents for the community and the community should know who we
are - one place.

>> In the "old" project we had a long list of people that have helped the project and
product:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html
>
> Sure. And we can have a page of known OOo "downstreams", providers like ODFauthors and
"forks" like LibreOffice.

>> Maybe we can agree to some categories to avoid having just a long list.
>
> Maybe Rob's five categories should be "Teams". Committers add their names to the teams
they plan to help in addition to the roster.

Sounds good.

Marcus