incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Reizinger Zoltán <zreizin...@hdsnet.hu>
Subject Re: User facing web items
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 14:11:24 GMT
Hi Andy,

2011.06.18. 15:46 keltezéssel, Andy Brown írta:
> Hi Zoltan,
>
> Zoltan wrote:
>> 2011.06.18. 1:33 keltezéssel, Andy Brown írta:
>>> Hi Ross,

>>> I know from conversations that the forum is hosted on Oracle servers,
>>> in Germany, if I am not mistaken.
>> Yes.
>> I'm co-admin of Hungarian forum from start of HU user forum, and
>> volunteer from EN forum start.
>>> The Admin is an employee of Oracle.
>> Half true. Oracle/Sun provides space in virtualized servers, if
>> something happens with servers which needs phiscally touch it, then
>> Oracle admin mange it.
>> All the other case the user forum admin Terry Ellison works, he manage
>> the common for all forums database and webserver, MySQL and phphBB
>> 3.0.x.
>> Language co-admins make language dependent work, works with spams, rouge
>> users, etc.
>> The Oracle only help us providing infrastructure (server space and
>> bandwith), not more.
>> The forums runs in common database and webserver.
>>> The moderators are from all over and volunteers for the most part. If
>>> it can not hosted on Apache servers then I am afraid that it will be
>>> lost and all the help that it has for users.
>> If not Apache will support this, we needs to search founding and run in
>> other place to support users, which is our will.
>>> "Is a forum the right solution today", good question but I have seen
>>> flame wars break out over that very topic in some mailing list. I
>>> prefer mailing list but understand why end users prefer a forum so I
>>> would support us keeping it.
>> Users forums started before the TDF was formed, their mailing list and
>> forum discussions not problem for us, we support all OOo derivate
>> software users, to help them, if we can answer their problems.
>> Zoltan
>>>
>>> Andy
>
> Good to see you here. :)  Terry and I have been in contact an he
> corrected me on his role as Admin.  He also told me that the license
> for the Forums is Copyleft which, if I understand correctly will
> prevent them from being on ASF servers.  If they are part of the grant
> then I guess that could change.  I am looking as some alternate
> options in case ASF can not host the forums.
The forums have link to the terms of use:
http://openoffice.org/terms_of_use
This link was on all the time while the forum runs.
For my best knowledge, never was problem wit that.

Now it is contain ASF 2.0 license for codes, I see no problems to licensing.
Usually no source codes submitted to forums.

Zoltan