incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Brown <a...@the-martin-byrd.net>
Subject Re: User facing web items
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2011 13:46:45 GMT
Hi Zoltan,

Zoltan wrote:
> 2011.06.18. 1:33 keltezéssel, Andy Brown írta:
>> Hi Ross,
>>
>> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>>
>>> There are many other things to consider in this question:
>>>
>>> - will infra@ be willing to host an instance of the software
>>> - can we migrate the content?
>>> - is it under a suitable licence to allow migration
>>> - is the forum approach the right solution today
>>> - and many more issues
>>>
>>> Ross
>>>

>> I know from conversations that the forum is hosted on Oracle servers,
>> in Germany, if I am not mistaken.
> Yes.
> I'm co-admin of Hungarian forum from start of HU user forum, and
> volunteer from EN forum start.
>> The Admin is an employee of Oracle.
> Half true. Oracle/Sun provides space in virtualized servers, if
> something happens with servers which needs phiscally touch it, then
> Oracle admin mange it.
> All the other case the user forum admin Terry Ellison works, he manage
> the common for all forums database and webserver, MySQL and phphBB 3.0.x.
> Language co-admins make language dependent work, works with spams, rouge
> users, etc.
> The Oracle only help us providing infrastructure (server space and
> bandwith), not more.
> The forums runs in common database and webserver.
>> The moderators are from all over and volunteers for the most part. If
>> it can not hosted on Apache servers then I am afraid that it will be
>> lost and all the help that it has for users.
> If not Apache will support this, we needs to search founding and run in
> other place to support users, which is our will.
>> "Is a forum the right solution today", good question but I have seen
>> flame wars break out over that very topic in some mailing list. I
>> prefer mailing list but understand why end users prefer a forum so I
>> would support us keeping it.
> Users forums started before the TDF was formed, their mailing list and
> forum discussions not problem for us, we support all OOo derivate
> software users, to help them, if we can answer their problems.
> Zoltan
>>
>> Andy

Good to see you here. :)  Terry and I have been in contact an he
corrected me on his role as Admin.  He also told me that the license for
the Forums is Copyleft which, if I understand correctly will prevent
them from being on ASF servers.  If they are part of the grant then I
guess that could change.  I am looking as some alternate options in case
ASF can not host the forums.

Andy
(therabi)