incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Brown <a...@the-martin-byrd.net>
Subject Re: User facing web items
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 23:33:52 GMT
Hi Ross,

Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 17 June 2011 00:00, Andy Brown<andy@the-martin-byrd.net>  wrote:
>> I have seen references to "user facing" web items, web pages, wiki and
>> mailing list.  What will happen to the forum at
>> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/ ?  It is an very useful user
>> facing asset that I would hate to see lost.  If it is transfered what will
>> be require from those that provide assistance there?  Will the moderators be
>> required to committers?  Thus requiring an iCLA?
>
> There are many other things to consider in this question:
>
> - will infra@ be willing to host an instance of the software
> - can we migrate the content?
> - is it under a suitable licence to allow migration
> - is the forum approach the right solution today
> - and many more issues
>
> Ross

I know from conversations that the forum is hosted on Oracle servers, in
Germany, if I am not mistaken.  The Admin is an employee of Oracle.  The
moderators are from all over and volunteers for the most part.  If it
can not hosted on Apache servers then I am afraid that it will be lost
and all the help that it has for users.  "Is a forum the right solution
today", good question but I have seen flame wars break out over that
very topic in some mailing list.  I prefer mailing list but understand
why end users prefer a forum so I would support us keeping it.

Andy