incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Manfred A. Reiter" <ma.rei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Native Language vs l10n
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:55:47 GMT
Hi Joe, all

Am 17.06.2011 20:26, schrieb Joe Schaefer:
> Whatever ultimately gets created at Apache will require
> active oversight by the (P)PMC.
1. does it have to be that way... or are the rules made by man

2. do you think that OOo at Apache is comparable with all the other
projects?

> We do have a small handful
> of language-specific user mailing lists, but there are people
> on the PMC responsible to see that the lists aren't being
> abused or misused or subject to spam.
Can you understand, that due to the nature of OOo it always
had very strong language specific communities, wich significantly
contributed to the huge success of OOo?

Interfering with the habits and cultures established within these
communties will in fact not take you any further than somebody
can say "we obeyed the Apache standard rules".

The power of local communites which can act independently,
has proven to be especially usefull in these areas were competing
products simply couldn't offer a "consumer focused" localised solution.

I'm just worried that you will alienate some very active contributors
by enforcing PMC rules just ... "because ..."

just my 0,02 eurocent

M.
please excuse BSE