incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Manfred A. Reiter" <>
Subject Re: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 18:40:01 GMT
Am 17.06.2011 20:04, schrieb Louis Suarez-Potts:
> Hi all,
> On 2011-06-17, at 13:59 , Ian Lynch wrote:
>> On 17 June 2011 18:50, Manfred A. Reiter<>  wrote:
>>> Hi Ingrid, *,
>>> Am 17.06.2011 17:44, schrieb IngridvdM:
>>> My understanding is that this contradicts the principles of the Apache
>>> german, brasilian,
>>> spanish, japanes people how contributed to the project in a very good way
>>> during the
>>> last years.
>>> IHMO it is evident, that we need
>>> So I would like to suggest that we use English on all mailing lists at
>>> It is self-evident, that the core has to be in englisch, even if it is BSE.
>> And because us English are not as good at languages as everyone else ;-)
>> IMHO it is self-evident, that we need languages lists - at least for
> Let's draw some necessary boundaries, as we did with OOo on this issue. The native language
projects operated as *informational* resources, not where *development* took place. ALL development
was (and continues to be) in English. But information on specific requests related to use
and how-to contribute, as well as incidental discussions, were encouraged to be in the person's
native language in these sub-projects.
> The point was to promote regional and linguistic engagement and growth.
> But, should discussions become related to development, then the point of having the native-language
projects would be lost, as the group kept in the "dark" would be all those tens of thousands
who do not speak the native language in question.
> -louis
full ack ...

View raw message