incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From IngridvdM <Ingrid...@gmx-topmail.de>
Subject Re: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:44:22 GMT
Am 17.06.2011 15:07, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Louis Suarez-Potts wrote:
>> I'd also like to modify the original OOo notion of a native language
>> project. When I set them up, I did so with a focus on language not
>> region.
>
> And you were right, there is no need to change it. Or, to be more
> precise, there are two categories of tasks:
> 1) Translation (interface, online help, documentation), QA on localized
>     versions.
> 2) Events, marketing, contact with the local press.
>
> For type-1 activities, we should still work by language, and the
> repositories should be structured as such; type-2 activities require
> coordination but no code repository, and can probably be addressed by
> mailing lists and dedicated wiki sections.

In addition to the distinction between region and language I would like
to distinguish between language/region aspects to discuss and the
language that is used to discuss those aspects.
My impression is that so far on old OOo language specific aspects have
been discussed using that very same native language. But that has the
problem that only a smaller part of the international community is able
to follow those discussions. My understanding is that this contradicts
the principles of the Apache way, because choosing to talk in a native
language other than English is excluding most others from their
possibility to participate.
So I would like to suggest that we use English on all mailing lists at
Apache, also for the language/region specific tasks. Opinions? Or is
this anyhow self-evident and not worth a note?

I see the problem for those that do not speak English.
Is it maybe possible for the native language communities to set up some
translation gateway that allows mails from and to the main project lists
to get translated between English and the chosen native language?
That would allow more people to take part in the discussion and would
combine the efforts. Just an idea. As we are not the first international
group working together I wonder whether there are elegant tools out
there to overcome the barrier of language?

Ingrid ( not a native English speaker )