incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Can we release OOo_3.4.0 install sets and language packs? (was: Can we rationalize and formalize "a language project"?)
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:29:26 GMT
On 17.06.2011 07:51, Greg Stein wrote:

> Over and over, people keep saying "OO.o is a HUGE COMPLICATED piece of
> code. IT IS A MESS. HARD TO WORK WITH." and that kind of thing. Either
> they are trying to scare people off, show how awesome they are that
> they can deal with it, or they're simply telling the truth. I tend to
> believe people, so everything built up in my head is that we're going
> to have a really, really hard time to build and release this thing.

OOo *is* huge and complicated. Partially because parts of its code base
are a mess, partially because a huge application with so many features
is not an easy matter. I doubt that any huge word processor will have a
code base that unexperienced developers can work on immediately.

Nevertheless, most parts we have to remove due to license constraints
are well separated from the other code. With a few exceptions (you
mentioned regexp) they are not even part of the code base, but are
provided as external source tarballs and their libraries often are
encapsulated by a small OOo library that exports a stable interface to
the rest of the code.

So replacing LGPL code will take the time it needs to write and test the
new code, but the size or the degree of mess in the code base will play
only a minor role. The "messy" parts only rarely directly interact with
LGPL code.

Nevertheless, assuming that it will take several months is a good
estimation. I refuse to predict the exact number of months. :-)

Disclaimer: I know a lot of OOo code. But of course I don't know every
piece of it. So I might be totally wrong for those parts I don't know.

Regards,
Mathias