incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Subversion history (was: Wiki, SVN, other resources)
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:01:51 GMT
On 16.06.2011 21:39, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 07:18, Mathias Bauer<Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net>  wrote:
>> I now have a list of files that IMHO can't be part of the software grant. A
>> list with all other files is worked on by Oracle.
>
> Umm. I don't think Oracle is working on any additional lists. We have
> to come up with the list of files that we want Oracle to grant us.

As Andrew answered, this is exactly what I have done. "Worked on by
Oracle" should be read as "was transferred to someone at Oracle". Sorry
for being unclear.

> We cannot get a Software Grant from Oracle for these. Instead, we will
> grab the source code and import them into a "third party" area of our
> source control (or possibly wherever they would best live; I tend to
> like grouping third party code). As Sam mentioned later, if some of
> this code ends up as "not allowed" in our repository, then we can rip
> it out. Being in the Incubator gives us a bit more flexibility in what
> can live within the repository.

Indeed it would be much easier to create a "negative" list of files that
must be removed from the code base than a "positive" list of files that
are allowed to stay in it. I already have a starting point for this
"negative" list. As I wrote, I have collected lists of files that Oracle
does not have copyright for and by checking their license we can achieve
our goal. The "positive" list I forwarded to Andrew contains ten
thousands of files, the "negative" list that I'm still refininf (thus
creating new items for the "positive" list) only a few hundred. And
while the former is still incomplete, the latter already is complete and
only contains some additional entries that we will remove by our
investigations.

If we did it this way, my recommendation would be not to use the
DEV300m103 milestone (that was used in the grant) but the most recent
OOO340m1 milestone. This would force me to check my list for any new
files, but that isn't a big problem.

Regards,
Mathias